When you wake up feeling fragile

I was reminded this morning of this recent post by Piper...it's really good.
http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/what-to-do-if-you-wake-up-feeling-fragile

I woke up feeling "fragile" this morning (truth be told, I do most mornings). My experience is usually the same as that described by Lewis in Mere Christianity:
“It comes the very moment you wake up each morning. All your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals. And the first job each morning consists simply in shoving them all back; in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in. And so on, all day. Standing back from all your natural fussings and frettings; coming in out of the wind.”
Yes, that's the battle I face each morning.  This morning I discovered a new hymn that helped me listen to "that other voice" and to come in "out of the wind."

He Giveth More Grace (James 4:6)
by Annie Johnson Flint

He giveth more grace as the burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength as the labors increase,
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials His multiplied peace.

Refrain:
His Love has no limit; His grace has no measure.
His pow'r has no boundary known unto men.
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus,
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again!

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources,
Our Father's full giving is only begun.



3 comments:

rockinrose said...

Mary, I forgot all about this hymn. We used to sing it at church all the time when we were kids. Thanks for reminding me!

Sarah R

Katie Perdue said...

thanks so much for sharing this...i face that battle pretty much every morning, so you are not alone!

Jenny said...

Hey, You've been on my mind so much lately. I've been composing emails to you in my head all week in fact. Skype date soon?