Well, folks, I've gotten myself in a bit of pickle here. My desire to welcome and include others has completely outstripped my grip on reality. I have 20 people coming to my house for Thanksgiving. Um, yes, 20 people...and did I mention that our apartment is on the smallish side and that our oven can only fit one half-sized cookie sheet at a time? Sheesh, what was I thinking?! Clearly, no thinking was happening on my part, only feeling, right? That's what the Myers-Briggs people say about us "F-types," we think with our feelings. That was obviously at play in this situation....
Which leaves me wondering where I can find a little boy who's carrying around 5 loaves and 2 fishes...'cause I need a miracle!
Seriously though, in some ways I'm glad that I feel so completely inadequate and that I have gotten myself in way over my head, because if you never feel like you need a miracle, then you'll never see one, right? Scripture passages about the Lord being our help and our support and our strength have fresh meaning for me this morning (as do verses about the Lord rescuing us in the day of calamity! Ha!) If you think of it during the next week, pray for me, will you? Pray that there will be enough of everything--enough food to eat AND enough trust and peace in my heart. And pray that I don't become this lady (really, please click because this is just about one of the funniest things I have ever seen on the web).
7 comments:
Go to Publix -- pick up a complete turkey dinner for much less than purchasing the idividual ingredients and doing it yourself. Save the preparation time for prayer and meditation -- be calm and have a blessed Thanksgiving.
hahahaha!!! I want to come too!! :) ~ cari
Publix, oh if only! We are buying our turkey pre-cooked from a western restaurant here (I don't even want to mention the price), but I just found out it's a 10person turkey...do we buy two then? Or just make more sides? Adam suggested ordering some KFC on the side...thankfully that sort of thing is totally acceptable when you're doing T'giving overseas!
I am seriously considering the Publix idea!!! My vote is to have lots of sides with a little bit of turkey...Oh I miss you guys! :) & I Love that God made you a "feeling" thinker! :)
I could not relate to this more. You are my bosom friend...
Cari, you should totally do it. We had a Kroger Thanksgiving when Katie was due to be born the day after Thanksgiving, it was great (not to mention the fact that as a wife of only 11 months I was in no way prepared to "do" Thanksgiving).
If it were me, I would do one turkey and make sure there are other yummies (maybe even a few from your host-culture) to round things out.
You are full of fun and joy, offer that gift and don't let it get overshadowed by stressed-out, perfect American Thanksgiving crazies. I'm praying for you.
Post a Comment