Happy National Turn on the Heat Day!

I intended to blog about this cultural curiosity last spring when it was "National Turn Off the Heat Day," but such a post never happened.  I'm much happier to be reporting about the arrival of "National Turn On the Heat Day."  Yes, it's just what it sounds like.  Most (all?) homes here do not have individual control over their heat.  Air conditioning, yes, heat, no.  Which means that for several weeks in the spring and fall (prior to National Turn On the Heat Day or just after National Turn Off the Heat Day), you either freeze to death inside your house or wear so many layers you look like Ralphie's little brother from A Christmas Story. 

I find that comparing this aspect of Chinese culture to America to be very symbolic of each country's fundamental underpinings.  China is a collective society--the good of the whole trumps the will of the individual.  The United States is an individualistic society--the will of the individual is the most significant value.  Thus, it makes total sense that in China there would be one national switch controlling the heat for 1.7 billiion people whereas in the U.S. each individual home usually has multiple separate controls (because, of course, different people in different parts of the house have different temperature needs, right?)  很有意思。(Hen you yisi means very interesting, a very useful, "catch-all" phrase.)

Today is the official National Turn On the Heat Day, although we were happily surprised to find our home a bit warmer starting on Friday.  I think they may begin testing things a bit early to make sure nothing blows up when things start up full-tilt. We are usually thrilled the first day or so after the heat comes on, after having been so bone-cold for so many weeks.  But the novelty wears off pretty quickly (at least for Adam it does, who very soon starts opening the windows and begins pontificating about the inefficiency of the whole system...I guess that's what happens after working at the gas and electrice company for two years!)  The girls and I are quite happy with the heat...they like the fact that they can dress up in princess dresses and tutus without being cold, and I'd much rather be unencumbered by thick layers.  Remember this picture from the early days of 3am wake-up times due to jet lag last February (note the onesie indicating how warm it was)?

1 comment:

Lorissa said...

I remember that day :-) And the fact that I had to have my window open the rest of the winter so I wouldn't bake! Thanks for the post! Thinking of you...