No, Dot's Bakery hasn't set up shop (unfortunately), but I did (quite by accident) yesterday make a chicken salad that tasted almost exactly like Ukrops To-Die-For Chicken Salad. Now if only I could get some White House Rolls....
(Non-Richmonders will be totally confused by this post, but for those of you for whom this isn't meaningless...I know you understand.)
The secret? Absolute simplicty. I boiled a couple of chicken breasts and chopped them up so finely they were almost a paste. Added some mayo (Chinese mayo at that!), 1/4 cup whipping cream (whipped to soft peaks), finely chopped celery, some salt and pepper. And that's it. Ukrops magic, right in your own kitchen.
After hitting the jackpot with the chicken salad, I began cruising the web for other Ukrops recipes. I didn't find much (the real recipes must be carefully guarded secrets, unless you own the Celebrating Ukrops with Great Food, which sells for a mere $62.86 online...what?! Anyone know how to get it for cheaper?) I did come upon this post that had some good ideas for add-ins to the chicken salad. Enjoy!
3 comments:
I have that cookbook but I was a little disappointed that its more like a church cookbookthan ukrops recipes.
oh girl, we are totally kindred spirits. i LOVE it :)
I'm new to your blog and was just catching up when I saw your comment about Ukrop's. I lived in Richmond from 2000--2006 and fell in love with everything Ukrop's!
I met Adam at the beginning of July when he attended a meeting where Judge Ken Starr spoke on "Ethics in Business". Very interested in your work in China.
Post a Comment