For months I've been looking for a way to get to know Katie's kindergarten teachers better. I snagged my chance when I picked Katie up from school the day she had taken the cupcakes to class. As the teacher handed over the empty platter, she said in an amazed voice, "Did you make those yourself? Can you teach us how?" In the midst of the million ways that being a foreigner here makes you feel like an idiot every day, the awe Chinese people feel towards baking helps to make up for the lost self-esteem! (Most Chinese people don't have ovens since they do most of the cooking on a stovetop, and so they are truly amazed at anything that comes out of ovens.)
So I invited Katie's teachers over one night to make Christmas cookies with us. It was a blast!
2 comments:
Incredible Mary! So creative in reaching out in ways right in front of you. Keep it up sista.
That's awesome :-) I remember some fun banana bread parties at the Mac. It really is a great way to build relationships!
Lorissa
Post a Comment