What We Eat, Part 2

In the basement of this building in our complex is the market where we buy all our fruit, vegetables, and meat

Lunches around our place are pretty simple.  If I "cook" it, we usually have pbj and carrot sticks or apple slices or cucumbers for the kids and/or leftovers (a perennial favorite, right?). A lot of times though I'll stop by the "food court" in the basement of the same building as our fruit/veggie market  (see picture to the right). The words 'food court' in no way capture the sketchiness of this place...but the food is yummy and cheap!  If I buy lunch from there, for less than $1 or $2, I can get one of the following:
(click link to see photos)
da bing- not really sure how to explain this one, except it's a big kind of pancake thing, sometimes with egg and scallions on top.  Love. This. Stuff.
jiu cai baozi-a steamed bun filled with Chinese leek and egg
ju rou jiaozi-pork dumplings
or chao mian (fried noodles...where we get our Ameri-version "chow mein")
Once in a while, if we have a bunch of leftover rice, I'll get Wang Jie to make dan chao fan (fried rice). We like our fried rice pretty simple, just with egg and green onion.

So that's lunch!

No comments: