Living in town

A while ago, just before we got over here, I came across a poem on my friend Maggie's blog.  My heart was gripped when I read it, since, having lived in this city before, I knew what i was getting into and knew that I would need to come back to this poem in the future.  So I "favorited" her post, to save "for a rainy smoggy day."

We have many smoggy days here, for weeks now.  Days when the only buildings I could barely make out from my window were the ones right across the street.  Mercifully, we had a good hard rain the other night and the past two days I've been able to see clear to the mountains that lie west to us!  Even Caroline pointed up in amazement yesterday, saying, "Blue sky!" 

I'm so thankful for the grace of a blue sky and a clear view, for thick, green trees just outside my window (I had prayed for a view of green, you know).  And yet, when I see a post like this one, like I did this morning, my heart aches a bit.  For I know the smog will come back.  And it hurts that doing nature walks with my children means identifying artificially planted trees and shrubs and that the only wildlife they will see are magpies and bugs.  And so, I pulled out my friend Maggie's poem this morning.  It helped a little, but I have much more room yet to grow in learning to see the Glory in this city.  I know it's here because He is here.  It's just hard to see it through the smog of my own heart sometimes.  Pray for me?

Obedience, by George MacDonald (1824-1905)

I said: “Let me walk in the fields.”
He said: “No, walk in the town.”
I said: “There are no flowers there.”
He said: “No flowers, but a crown.”

I said: “But the skies are black;
There is nothing but noise and din.”
And He wept as He sent me back –
“There is more,” He said; “there is sin.”

I said: “But the air is thick,
And fogs are veiling the sun.”
He answered: “Yet souls are sick,
And souls in the dark undone!”


I said: “I shall miss the light,
And friends will miss me, they say.”
He answered: “Choose tonight
If I am to miss you or they.”


I pleaded for time to be given.
He said: “Is it hard to decide?
It will not seem so hard in heaven
To have followed the steps of your Guide.”

I cast one look at the fields,
Then set my face to the town;
He said, “My child, do you yield?
Will you leave the flowers for the crown?”


Then into His hand went mine;
And into my heart came He;
And I walk in a light divine,
The path I had feared to see.

2 comments:

Laurel Byers said...

Wow. What an excellent and heart tenderizing poem for living in the city you do. Amazing how the words of someone so long ago can be so relevant!

Maggie said...

Just through through your neck of the woods on a return flight from Japan back to our little home in s.a. I was shocked by the smog and pollution. It was unreal. Also shocked by how many people stared at us in the airport. Thought of you and your sweet family so much and prayed for you right there, on your soil. HE is there, because YOU are there.