Well-loved books

We are book lovers here in the McCulloch house, attested by the fact that I think half of the bags we brought over here were filled with books we "couldn't live without."

Some days it's tough being book lovers with small children in a country where there's no giant "English Children's" at the public library (or maybe there is one and I just don't know it).  We were super-excited when we recently received a box of some cousins' old books from Adam's mom and an early Christmas present from my mom...a Color Nook!  Wowee!  Definitely feeling less book-stranded now.  THANK YOU!!!

As I've been perusing the B&N site to see what is available in NookBook form, I've been try to remember some of the girls' favorite books we used to check out from the library.  One of the books I recalled was a precious picture book called The Fourteen Bears in Summer and Winter. I was hoping to find it in NookBook form to purchase for the girls as a fun surprise. Well, not only was there no digital version, but to buy even a used copy was over $100!  What?!  So, for those of you with kids out there who live near a public library that has this book, GO CHECK IT OUT.  It is wonderful, and it looks like you won't be finding it anywhere else besides the library these days.  I contemplated emailing the Louisville library and asking them that, if they ever decide to "retire" that book from circulation, they need to call me and I would gladly buy it! 

Update: We recently discovered that the Chinese version of Amazon.com (and other local sites like Amazon) have a treasure trove of English children's books available!  Not only that, but many of the prices are cheaper than US prices, payment is on delivery (did I mention delivery is free?), and the items usually arrive the next day.  What a mercy!  I heart China!  Paperback versions of One Morning in Maine and Make Way for Ducklings just arrived today.  I may be saving these for a rainy day, once we've read our other new books for the 200th time.  :)

No comments: