Happy Birthday, Caro!

Sunday we celebrated God giving Caroline 2 years of life (really 2 year and 9 months, right?). 

It was such a fun day that we'd all been looking forward to for awhile.  The really fun part was seeing Katie so excited to help make it a special day for her sister--hooray for seeking joy in another's!  Saturday night we let her stay up past her normal bedtime to help us set up for the big day.  All week long she had been coloring butterflies to decorate the walls.  But the really fun part for her was setting up the play kitchen that was Caroline's big present.  The grandparents all went in to buy the play kitchen from IKEA along with lots of accessories to go with it (thank you!!!).  Adam and I had a fun date to IKEA on Friday morning to purchase it (and let me tell you, going right when the store opens is a much nicer experience than going in the afternoon....see my friend Sharee's post about her IKEA experience...)  Even more fun was having it delivered the next day and not having to put together any of it (for a very low cost a bunch of Chinese guys will assemble your IKEA stuff for you).  Not only was I very glad we had paid for this service when I saw how many parts came with it, but it also provided an hour's worth of entertainment for the girls as they watched them work!  I made the smart move to ask the guys to assemble the kitchen in our bedroom, and I even managed to explain to them that it was for Caroline's birthday on Sunday so I didn't want her to see it.  I think they seemed a little pleased to be part of the surprise.  Caroline wasn't completely left out though...she got to watch a guy put together our coffee table. :) 

Which brings us to the Big Day (I have a video I would LOVE to post, but once again I was foiled by Asian internet):
I think she likes it!

Cheese!  It's my birthday!
After enjoying some play time and banana bread for breakfast, we headed to church.  Afterwards we had some friends of our come over for pizza, cake and ice cream!  What a fun day!  Thank you for God for giving us this precious little girl to celebrate!

Still lovin' the kitchen

The big kids

Lovin' the pizza

Grown-ups like pizza too
Drumroll....another semi-failed birthday cake! 
But hey, it can kind of pass for a purple butterfly, right? 
It tasted good and we even splurged on getting a couple pints of ice cream!

All that matters is that she liked it!
Hilariously, she actually calls the purple tissue paper butterfly we have hanging up "foofie cake." 
Maybe a cake was totally unnecessary?

5 comments:

Byerly said...

love her pizza face -- that is one excited girl!! happy b'day caroline!! -- adam and mary, thanks for all the posts, we love them!!

Hannah Murray said...

I love how you made the day so special for her! Celebrations make being away from your home country so much better :-) The kitchen looks AWESOME and I don't see why you think the cake is anything like a failure! Then again I have never made anything more than a chocolate or cream cheese frosted layer cake, so what do I know!

Vincent said...

She is beautiful Mary!! I cannot believe she is two. WHAT?? I would love to know her little personality! Johnny turned three last week too! Hard to believe. Love your blog - i get so excited when i see a new post!! Love you guys. -Cari

Riley said...

How fun! Happy Birthday C! And the cake looked awesome - as usual! Miss y'all!

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday, Caroline!! We got Anna a play kitchen too, but it's hiding until the 30th.