Early birds

Unfortunately, this has been my view lately at about 5:45 every morning: 
Well, if I'm honest...this is more likely what I see:
(Does Dora count as educational?)
Soon to be followed by this:

My dear friend Carolyn and I have both been wondering lately how to protect this precious morning time.  Usually, the problem lies on my end of things--as in not having enough self-control to get into bed by 9 in order to get up early enough.  What happens though when you work hard to get to bed early, actually do get up when the alarm goes off, but still do not get to have your desired silence and solitude?  Well, you probably shouldn't get mad and sin away your morning, which is what I have been tending to do.  Oh, how angry I've become when I hear that little voice shouting, "Mommy!"  How quickly my good desire becomes a right, a demand--and to such an extent that I sin when I don't get it.  For the first few days of companionship with my early birds, I complained and begged God, "Why are they waking up so early?  Please cause them to sleep later!  Don't You care that I'm just trying to spend with you?"  It's never a good sign of my heart's state when I start accusing God of not caring.  While it's perfectly legititmate to take this concern before Him and to ask Him to intervene (which I am still hoping He does!), He is beginning to show me that He has more in mind behind the early birds than what I was/am seeing.  In perfect timing, I read this post on another blog recently--challenging!  

No time to finish writing out my thoughts about this now, hopefully more later.  I'm thankful that He is not letting this "teaching moment" slip by in my life...but I'd still be happy for them to sleep later (and I'm open for advice too!) 

1 comment:

the reppard crew said...

oh, i hear you . . . i always say that I have "entitlement issues" . . . thinking that i deserve/should/merit one thing or another . . . OH, the sin. Help us, Jesus!