The shroud

This is what it has looked like here for several days.  [Note: that is smog not fog.  We were spoiled our first few days with blue sky and thought to ourselves, "Wow, things have really changed since we lived here before!"  Um, not so much. 

The one redeeming aspect is that it is a physical reminder of a spiritual reality.  I can't help but think of Isaiah 25:7 every time I walk down the street and can't see the buildings two blocks away or look out the window and can barely make out the buildings across the road. 

"And He will swallow up on this mountain the covering [NIV: the shroud] that is cast over all the peoples, the veil  that is spread over all nations..."

As I read the Ann Voskamp book, I am regularly reminded of how I need His help to see.  He says that the whole earth is full of His glory...do I ever take time to see it?  Or do I walk most days in my own smog of self-centeredness and independence?  Does my heart break over the smog-shroud that lies over the hearts of the people around me?  Do I long for and rejoice in the day that this veil will be removed?

1 comment:

Mike said...

This reminds me so much of a dream - actually a vision - I had while we were in the West several years ago. It was toward dusk, and smoke hung in the air from the countless cooking fires in the city. For the first time I saw the spirits of the people, burdened down just as the smoke seemed to blanket the city.

May you be used to remove that veil!