On being a sojourner

There’s nothing like living in a foreign country to make you value and appreciate those parts of the Bible that speak to the treatment of sojourners.

It’s hard to be an “outside person” (the literal translation of ‘foreigner’ in Chinese). I daily experience my “outsideness” in communication, but also whenever I go to the market to purchase something. I hate bargaining anyway (even at yard sales in America!) but even more so when I'm not fluent in the language and I don’t know how much things are supposed to cost. Plus, there’s the “foreign face fee.”

It’s expected that the price of an item gets jacked up for foreigners—in part because they assume we are rich and also that it’s fair to charge us more simply because we are (as I said) “outside people.” I struggle with this. A lot. So much so that I usually end up going to Wal-mart to buy stuff so I don’t have to haggle over the price, even though it might be more expensive (although it may be cheaper since you don’t have the “foreign face fee” to deal with). Scripture is clear that it is wrong for people to take advantage of foreigners in their midst, simply because they are “outside people.” It certainly doesn’t feel good to be abused in this way.

And yet, in my better moments, I think to myself, “Why should I make such a big deal about this? The reality is that, though I’m not rich in my book, according to their standards, I probably am rich! And even though it is wrong for them to charge me a couple of extra bucks simply because I’m a foreigner, can’t I trust God to deal with any injustice done to me? He sees, He knows, and it is not mine to take vengeance (vengeance in my case meaning harboring resentment and bitterness in my heart towards merchants). Instead of cursing them by holding them captive in my heart, why not bless in response to their abuse? Why not choose to pay the “foreign face fee” with gladness, not out of resignation, but out of a desire to respond to their abuse with generosity? Which is more pleasing to Him—to haggle endlessly and fretfully over prices out of bitter spirit or to be lavish in generosity out of compassion for them and love for Him?” These things I think in my better moments…which sadly are few and far between.
Such is my confession and request for your prayer. I long to be lavish in generosity and mercy because I have been (and daily am) the recipient of lavish generosity and mercy.

1 comment:

Heather said...

REALLY REALLY enjoyed your thoughts on this! Thanks for being so transparent! MUCH LOVE!!