Goodbye, Honeymoon

It's been a hard week.  I feel compelled to share this because I've been challenged/encouraged by some good plain honesty I've seen on other blogs recently (this is a must read for any women out there), and I figured a blog isn't worth much if it isn't real.  Right? 

So, as I said, it's been a hard week, and I'm coming to realize that what some experts call the "honeymoon" phase of crossing cultures may be coming to an end.  But at least it lasted two months, right?

Tears and impatience and frustration have come much more easily this week than joy and gratitude, self-control and perseverance.  I'm tired of not being able to understand people or signs and of not being able to say what I want to say.  I find myself jealous of folks who can speak, whether expats who have lived here for several years and are reasonably fluent or even three year old local kids who can comprehend and speak better than me.  I miss the Dairy Kastle and the library and Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens and the Louisville Zoo and Katie's preschool.  I miss good coffee and cream cheese and guacamole and chocolate chips.  I feel like I've hit a wall in language learning and am easily discouraged to keep going when I see how far I still have to go.  So there it is.  The honesty. 

Friday was a low point, and thankfully things have gotten better since then.  On Saturday I had two successful shopping experiences which involved lots of speaking and comprehension and new vocabulary (like "bike helmet" or 头盔 tou2 kui1 and "color printing" or  彩色打印 cai3se4 da3yin4)..that was encouraging.  (Hooray for Google translator!)  I also had several encouraging conversations with some other expats.  And best of all I have this promise:  "His mercies are new every morning; great is His faithfulness."

3 comments:

the reppard crew said...

He is for you and loves you so, Mary! Y'all are doing great! I am so impressed and encouraged by you! love love love to y'all!

Katie Perdue said...

praying for you :) I love that verse from Lamentations...and so true, each day is new, and each day you start again putting behind you the frustrations of what has happend the day before. You'll get there with your language learning- Think of how a child learns language when they are small- it doesn't happen in two months! :) love you and your sweet family...

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Mary. I know what you mean about cross-cultural change. When I moved to Virginia from West Virginia after college, the transition was slow. Verbal communication was difficult, but since I could read and write their language, that helped!
And after about 15 years in Richmond, I gained some smidgen of acceptance from the locals. Still not FFV, but I know a few.

Love,
Dad