Cultural adaption- kid style

So many of you ask us how the girls are adjusting...THANK YOU for your care and concern and love for them.  It means a lot.  I thought I'd share with you one way that we have seen the girls adapting to life here...their full embrace of the children's television program that's sweeping the nation.  Xi yang yang and Hui Tai Lang (otherwise known as "Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf").  

I should've known that Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf were going to be an integral part of our future here when it was one of the featured selections on the flight over.  We began our embrace of it when we would find ourselves up in the wee hours of the morning in a zombie-like state with our two very awake children.  The fact that it has a very annoying catchy theme song pretty much sealed the deal with our kids.  I think Caroline may watch this every morning she's with our helper (probably the only chance our helper gets to accomplish something!)  I'm not sure if I would let my kids watch this show if we were in the States...it seems pretty mindless and a tad violent (it's all about the wolf trying to get the goats but always getting injured in the process...think Roadrunner and Coyote).  But the fact that none of us can really understand what is being said (these goats could have potty mouths for all I know!) somehow tempers the show's badness.  Plus, I tell myself that it's a language acquisition tool.  And so that is how the words "xi yang yang" and "wolf" have become a part of Caroline's daily vocabulary.  You really should google 'xi yang yang' and try to listen to the theme song.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

I'm enjoying your blog.
And I found the song.
You're a very sacrificial mom ;).

Also found some sort of english version, which made me chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k7DfEaPHsU

Miss you, friend!

Laurel said...

I find it very cool that Caroline is into wolves. Riley and I think of you every time we see a wolf shirt, which is often when we're in the tourist shops in Gatlinburg :-)