School pictures, Chinese-style

We're alive, I promise!  "Summer time" has been busy so far, mostly because our summer break hasn't really started yet!  Adam just finished up classes last week, and Katie's will wrap up next Friday (also the same day Grandma Sue arrives!!!)  There will be much rejoicing on that day, let me tell you, not only because we haven't seen any family members in about a year and a half, but also because the dreaded dance practices for Katie's kindergarten graduation performance will finally be over!  Stay tuned for photos and videos of that coming in a couple weeks. 

Until then, I just had to share some of Katie's school photos.  Some of you may remember last year's school pictures.  This year's were pretty much the same deal since Katie was basically repeating the same grade over again...so we have another graduation photo!
 And it's time for another round of "Find the Foreigner!"
This year, however, we also got a second set of school photos to choose from. One day, when I asked Katie how school was as we were walking home, she pulled a Rapunzel and replied, "Best. Day. Ever!" Well, that was certainly not the normal response I get when I ask that question. From what I was able to gather, a special photographer had come to school that day, along with a truckload of different costumes, and the kids basically got to dress up all day and have their pictures taken. Things became a little clearer when we got the pictures back a few weeks later.




Are those precious or what?!  We have one photogentic girl...although I'm a little perturbed that they airbrushed out most of her freckles.  I love her freckles and am quick to tell those who makes disparaging remarks about them (because they do)(sigh) that "In America, freckles are considered a mark of great beauty." 

But just in case you thought the pictures couldn't get any better, they do.  And weirder too. These next ones were Katie's faves...do you wonder why?

Adam was the one who actually ordered the photos. After seeing all the proofs (see below), I think you'll agree with me that he did a pretty good job picking out the best ones (he had, of course, to get some of the Snow White ones to placate Katie).
Which of these would you have chosen?
I think the side-ponytail and fake frames at the beach ones are the best (did you catch the Statue of Liberty in the background?).   But then again, you also gotta love the barefoot flower princess in the ghetto ones (2nd column). Of course, how could you not love the teased hair Glamour Shots of the last column? My only concern is that we're going to see some of these pictures again some day up on a billboard because some company has hijacked the photos of the cute foreign kid to promote their product (it's happened to people we know here, although I'm not sure what kind of product any of these pictures would be selling!).

Ah, life is never boring in these parts....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Those are AWESOME! I'm sitting here with the girls and they loved seeing sweet Katie! It's always great to hear how you all are doing and the work God is doing through you all there. We miss you. The Morans

Maggie said...

Okay, Mar, you totally don't have to post this comment BUT, I have a story. Awkward moment when you think your neighbor wants to come hang out, but then they try to sell you Amway. Even MORE awkward when one of the products they try to sell you is something to "help with your uneven pigmentation"
Me: Blank stare
Her: You know, your skin condition?
Me: what?
Her: all of a sudden very awkward, backtracking, horrified.
Me: My freckles?
Her: Oh...um...no...um...yes.
Me: These are cute in America.

Sigh. The humbling moments are plentiful here.

Anonymous said...

Very photogenic! What a schoolday!
G'daddy

Unknown said...

Wow, they even had a hairstylist in tow. My favorite is a tossup between ghetto princess and glamour shots side pony. How fun! What a beautiful girl you have.

Love yall. Pring for you.

Rambos

Unknown said...

Love this post. Can you imagine if American schools devoted an entire day to a multiple outfit photo shoot with a hairstylist? Ha! I can't decide my fave - tossup between ghetto princess and glamour shots side pony. What a fun day for her and what a beautiful girl she is.

Love yall and pr'ing for you.

Rambos

Lisa said...

We can't get over these pictures!! Are you these just normal school pictures? Definitely going to be part of her wedding reception in some shape or form. =) Katie looks beautiful and so old!
p.s. I love the fake glasses ones! =)