Came across this excellent article the other day via Ann Voskamp's blog. As a believer who regularly struggles with attempting (and, of course, failing) to secure a righteousness for myself apart from Christ, I resonated deeply with many of the temptations this man mentions. This article is primarily aimed at homeschooling families, but I think any family who desires to be intentional in their parenting could benefit from this article.
Here's one of my favorite snippets to entice you to read more. (Note: where it said the word "homeschool" I have substituted the word "Christian.")
In the [Christian] community I have observed that there can be a great emphasis on outward appearance, whether it is dressing for excellence, modesty, grooming, respectful manners, music style, or an attitude of sober reverence in worship. Some even take their children down a country path of humble fashions, raising food, and making bread. Nothing is wrong with any of these things, but we must be careful - we can model for our children outward changes and easily fall into molding their behavior and/or appearance, while missing their hearts. In some circles emphasis on the outward is epidemic.
"A friend of mine, a homeschool mom, just passed away of cancer. In the week before she died, I asked her if she had any regrets in her life. She told me she wished she had baked less bread - she said if she had it to do over again she would buy bread and spend more time with her children. She had invested time and energy in pursuing the "path" because she thought it was part of the spiritual [Christian] package."
"She wished she had baked less bread." I love that line, for I feel it captures the spirit that so often catches me, namely, neglecting "best" things for the sake of "good"things. I pray that I will remember this sentence throughout the day and spend less time baking less bread. :)
PS-a friend of a friend (and this friend too)! recently wrote this blog post that I commend to you. A lot of what she said inspired me, but at the end in particular she has a couple of really good paragraphs about creating space in the day to"hear the hearts of her kids."
PPS-I would be remiss if I failed to note that one of the friends I linked to above just received the devastating news that she (a mother of three sweet and small boys) has breast cancer. Cari is one of my most favorite and precious friends from our time in Louisville, a woman I deeply love and respect and who has loved and cared for me well in spite of myself. I encourage you to check out her blog, where she honestly and transparently writes about her life. But I'd also like to encourage you to go to this site and consider contributing to a fund set up in her honor that will go towards the cost of her cancer treatments.
No comments:
Post a Comment