That said, here are some of the main dishes that regularly make their way onto our dinner table. And once again, I must give credit where credit is due and say that I would be absolutely lost if it were not for this awesome blog.
- Quiche: eggs and spinach are readily available in the market and I make pie crust from Crisco that wonderful people have sent us from the States...although I just learned that I can buy Crisco from a website over here and also at a new grocery store I discovered that is close to my Chinese class. Still more expensive than it would be in the States, but at least it's here if I need it!)
- Chicken fingers: back in the 'Ville we discovered an amazing recipe for fried chicken that we have successfully been able to recreate here. The recipe had nothing to do with the fact that we were living in the Land of the Colonel but came mostly from the recipe in this cookbook which I got as a wedding gift.
- Chicken pot pie: a perennial favorite of Katie's, and again, except for the Crisco I use for the crust, I can find all the ingredients at our little market (except for butter too, which I buy at the restaurant wholesale market and freeze until I need it).
- Spaghetti: thankfully Italian pastas are available for a reasonable price at the Wal-mart and spaghetti sauce can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be. We are so thankful for the parmesan cheese that was recently sent our way (although it is available at import stores here...at a price.)
- Pizza: just as in the States, pizza (in some form) makes its way onto our table about once a week. I am regularly thankful for the restaurant wholesale market near our house that seels 5kg blocks of mozzarella that we shred and freeze in 2 cup portions. Pepperoni (everyone's favorite topping, right?) us virtually impossible to find here, but we have had some very faithful friends send us some from the States!
That gives you a general idea of what we eat. About once every 1-2 weeks, cooking feels a little overwhelming and so we just order Chinese and occasionally McDonald's (by the way, they deliver McD's here! Is that awesome or what?)
1 comment:
I found pepperoni at the baking store you gave me the card for! I also discovered it's walkable from a subway stop. :)
I take the subway to Hepingxiqiao on line 5, then go out the NW exit and walk along the 3rd ring road to Anzhenqiao. Turn south and walk about 100 meters and the store is on your left.
They sell Hormel pepperoni 10 RMB for 100 g. I usually buy several packs and freeze them. I can meet you at the subway station and take you sometime so you know the way.
Post a Comment