Taking a bus in the middle of rush hour with two small children is always a gamble. Thankfully, people are usually very kind about giving up a seat for the mom with the squirmy toddler. I've finally figured out that a bag full of books is the best way to make the most of potentially terrible transportation situations.
So, earlier this week I pulled out Dr Seuss' ABCs to read to Caroline on our quick bus ride to a friend's house. I noticed a mom standing near us was elbowing her kid, encouraging him to pay attention or to try to read over my shoulder to practice his English. Before I knew it, I looked around and realized that all the people standing around us were intently listening to every word, eyes scouring every page. I guess they wanted to take advantage of a free English lesson! And so, for the next 10 minutes, I read Dr. Seuss' ABC book to a busload of Chinese people (I made sure to turn the book so everyone could see the pictures, just like a librarian at story hour). It was classic...and so much fun. Though I'm not sure they ever figured out what a zizzer-zazzer-zuzz was....
2 comments:
that is SO funny!! You gave Dave and I a good laugh this morning. Thinking of you as you parent in these challenging situations, like crowded buses and very curious people! Way to go in keeping your sense of humor intact - I love it:)
What a cool experience! I could totally see it the way you described it. Hope you are well! What precious moments!
Post a Comment